CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 14, 2009

I like spaghetti squash? Really?

I started yet another blog, because I like to keep things separate. I've got my personal blog about life with four small children, and I also have a blog to document our journey to becoming foster parents. I've had to completely alter the way I eat, and rather than filling up my family blog with recipes and things that work for me throughout this experience, I thought it'd be good to have a place devoted to what I've tried, what is good, and what isn't.

The very first thing I tried was Spaghetti Squash. I have to admit, I am one of those people who doesn't like any food I have never tried. But pasta is now not an option for me and so I decided to give it a try. The first time I made it, I seasoned some chicken and cooked that in the skillet and put that over spaghetti squash that had been doused with butter and garlic. I was NOT impressed at all with the squash. I could eat it...but it just wasn't that great.

But I wasn't ready to give up on it. My family LOVES spaghetti. I don't do anything fancy. Just Prego (the fresh mushroom 'flavor'), and ground beef with Italian seasoning. Mix it all together and that's my spaghetti sauce. I was disappointed to learn that Prego has sugar in it. I can't have mushrooms anymore, but wanting to stick with Prego, I looked at labels and couldn't find one that didn't have sugar in it. On the next trip to the grocery store, Kris was with me and we found two kinds of pasta sauce that didn't have sugar in it. The Schnucks brand sauce (Garlic and Herb) doesn't have sugar and I haven't tried that one yet. And this flavor was the only Schnucks brand that didn't have sugar. The brand we tried was Charlie Gitto's which is a restaurant in downtown St. Louis. I didn't dislike the sauce, nor did I love it. HOWEVER...when mixed with the seasoned ground beef it was decent. Something we could get used to.

Then it was time to give spaghetti squash a second try. This time, I LOVED IT! I was surprised by how good it all was together. Even if I am ever allowed to add pasta back in, I will continue to eat the spaghetti squash instead. It was THAT good! In fact, Katherine even said that the next time we have spaghetti she wants it with the squash instead of the noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment