CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A wealth of knowledge

I've been doing more and more research and sugar alternatives, such as Splenda and Stevia in particular. Splenda has many, many bad reviews and I've read that Splenda is NOT GOOD if you are on a yeast free diet. So that's out for baking. But Stevia on the other hand may prove to be a good alternative. At least I am hoping that it does. I found a recipe today for pie crust that will completely take the worry out of testing out different grain-free flours that so far have made my food taste like dirt. Cooking sometimes is all about the love you put into it...and no amount of love has reduced the dirt flavor so far!!

But I was really excited to find that there are others out there, braver than me. Others who thought to combine some ingredients and come up with an alternative for pie crust. And this is JUST IN TIME for Thanksgiving. Here it is:

2 cups pecans (you could use almonds or walnuts if you wanted)
3 Tbsp butter or 2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons stevia (equals 4 packets)

Put nuts into food processor. Process until the nuts are a fine meal-like texture. Combine with the remaining ingredients, pat into a pie plate and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes one 9-10 inch pie crust. Fill with pie filling of your choice and bake according to instructions. This is also good with uncooked pie fillings too.

I don't know about you but that sure does SOUND good to me! So I plan to give it a whirl (hopefully tomorrow), and my real goal is to be able to make a GOOD dessert for Thanksgiving next week! I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment