CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, December 25, 2009

Comfort food

Something I have really missed since going yeast-free is biscuits and gravy. Once I made almond flour biscuits (which turned out to be pancakes) with almond flour gravy and was not impressed. That was the last of my experimenting with gluten-free biscuits for a while. Until today. I picked up a book called "The Gluten-Free Kitchen" by Robin Ryberg. I had to alter the recipe just a bit because it calls for sugar and I accidentally put too much baking soda in it but overall they were quite edible and enjoyable!

For the gravy I just cooked some gluten/sugar-free sausage and used the grease from that. I estimated that there was about 2 Tbsp of grease in my pan, so instead of flour, I put 2 Tbsp of cornstarch in and mixed that until it was smooth. Then I just added the milk in and stirred and heated it on medium until it thickened. Little salt and pepper and it was that simple.

For the biscuits, here is the recipe I used. Most of the credit goes to Robin Ryberg because I am pretty sure I couldn't have come up with these measurements/ingredients on my own, but I am going to write the recipe as I made it (except I will leave the baking soda amount as it is in the book). The biscuits did not raise as much-and it was either that there is no gluten in it or because they are just not meant to raise, or because I put too much baking soda in them, but overall, they LOOKED like real biscuits (just shorter) and they had a good texture. If I could actually eat jelly, I imagine they would taste pretty good with jelly too!

Gluten-free/Sugar-free Biscuits

1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon agave nectar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients together, mixing well to remove any lumps. On a lightly floured (with cornstarch) surface flatten the dough with your hands and spread out until about 1/2 inch thick. Using a circular cookie cutter or top of a glass rim, cut the biscuits and put on a lightly greased pan (I used a stone so there was no need to grease it). I was able to make a total of 8 biscuits out of this amount. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

This was the most enjoyable yeast-free breakfast I have had in 2 months! I will definitely be trying out some of the other recipes in this book, altering them as I must to replace the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment