CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pizza Crust

Roben Ryberg has given me another meal to add to my 'plate'. We have pizza and movie night every weekend. Usually we order Little Caesar's or Papa John's. Sometimes though, when I have the energy, I make my own pizza crust, with the help of Pampered Chef's Pizza Crust & Roll Mix and then add my toppings. But I HATE rolling out pizza dough. I detest it. And, of course that pizza crust has yeast in it! Actually Roben Ryberg's recipe calls for yeast, but I read in her book somewhere that the yeast can be omitted from most of her recipes. This pizza crust is a double-bonus for me because I can use Canola oil, instead of soy bean and Olivia can eat it too. We've never really thought much before about letting her have the frozen pizza or the takeout pizza but checking the boxes today we found that the frozen pizzas do have soy bean oil in them, so those are now out for Olivia too.

So I am posting the recipe here without including the yeast in it...somehow I feel like in doing that I am not 'copying' her recipe. I don't know if there are copyrights or legal issues with me posting recipes from a book. I do recommend that anyone who is avoiding gluten for any reason buy this book. I keep renewing it from the library because there are so many recipes in it that I want to try. I want to eventually buy it but haven't been able to yet.

Oh and I just want to add that most of the recipes in this book are great because the majority of the ingredients are things that you have usually have on hand in your kitchen. I read somewhere in the book that was partly what motivated her to write it. A lot of the cookbooks out there call for ingredients you have to get from Whole Foods or worse yet, can only get online. So I like this one the most so far.

Ok, without further delay...here's the recipe.

1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour in shortening and milk slowly and mix well. Using non-stick spray or water on your hands roll out dough or pat and shape dough with your hands on a lightly greased baking pan. Top as desired and bake for 15-25 minutes, until crust is lightly browned on the bottom.

*Note: the dough is soft and sticky. I did use water on my hands and it didn't stick, so I highly recommend this method. Next time, I will either roll it out thinner or cook it longer. The middle pieces were doughy still.

No comments:

Post a Comment