CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 14, 2009

Chili!

When I was growing up, my mom made the BEST chili. I always loved it and loved making it when I moved out. But with my new restrictions, I'm afraid I won't be eating that chili again. The only other option was to find a recipe for chili that I liked. And find one I did. Granted, it is a little bit more work than opening up some cans, but it was worth it, and really it didn't take me more than 15 minutes to prepare it. I took the basic recipe I found last week and altered it so that it could really be my own recipe. Here is how I made my chili:

3 lbs lean ground beef (you could substitute whatever other meat you would like)
2 Tbsp. Southwest Seasoning (I used Pampered Chef seasoning)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 28oz can pureed tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, pressed
4 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp agave nectar (you can use 1 tsp sugar)
1 can pinto beans, drained

In a large 12" skillet, brown hamburger (or meat of choice) with the Southwest Seasoning. Drain and set aside.

Saute onion, celery and garlic until softened. Add meat back into skillet.

Add tomatoes and mix well. If you are using agave nectar instead of sugar, add it in after the tomatoes.

Combine chili powder, cumin, white pepper and oregano (add the sugar here if you are not using agave nectar), then add that to the pan. Mix well.

Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Add pinto beans and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Makes about 10 (1 cup) servings. Calories per serving: 214

No comments:

Post a Comment