CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lord's Table - Day 1





I just finished lesson 1 of the Lord's Table. True to my word, I began the 60 day online course tonight. It is what God was urging me to do and I am ready. I know that Satan will attack. It's what he does. Especially when God's people strive to change their complacent behavior in an effort to grow in their relationship with Him.

The lesson was short tonight but two things stood out to me and I thought that this would be a good place for me to journal some of those thoughts. If you aren't into the whole "religion" scene, feel free to skip over these posts, though you are MORE than welcome to share in this journey with me. God loves all of us...even the failures like me who struggle second to second to live my life to glorify Him. And believe me...FOOD is not the only area of my life that I surrender and then "un-surrender" to God. Romans 8:38 says:

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
--New Living Translation

My friends, that verse does not just apply to ME. Or just Christians. It applies to each and every person reading this. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done. NOTHING can separate you from God's love.

The first thing that struck me in tonight's lesson was something well-known to me but rarely seen in my life. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there really is freedom. Freedom from bondage and sin. I have experienced this freedom at different times in my life, and I have gone too long living in sin and an addiction to food. The 60 day course isn't going to be easy, and it's not a quick solution to a problem that I have deep in my heart. But I'm trying and I think that God will honor that. It's the hardest thing to do, but here and now I am trying to give back to God that which I always take away from him. Control. Control over my food choices, control over my life, and control over my heart. For too long I have sat back and watched from the sidelines. I've gone through church and praying with my kids, and all the other "Christian" things. It's time I put my faith into action and for me, it's starts with food and how I view it and abuse my body by what or how much I put into it.

I'm not perfect (AS YOU HAVE ALL SEEN!!) but I've been complacent for too long. No wonder I can't seem to stay strong and make the right yeast-free choices. It's because my focus has been on me and what I can do in my own strength. Well you know what?? I can do NOTHING in my own strength. It is only by God's strength and power that I can fight this battle and win!

I just flipped back now to look up something on the recommended eating plan and saw something I thought was profound and something I have never heard before. What are your thoughts on this:

"Once an addict always an addict?" Not according to God's Word!


There is a link for "not according to God's Word!" that points to 1 Corinthians 6:9-11:

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Something interesting to note about this program is the meal/menu plan. I am going to try to stick to this; I have done it in the past and so I know that I can do it again. I am hoping to also combine this whenever possible with yeast-free meals. The reason behind this suggested (but not required) meal plan is to help you begin to control what and how much you are putting into your mouth and trusting God to give you the strength to deprive yourself on the days when you are more limited. Each week you have:

2 half days - three meals with the portions divided in half
2 liquid days - one regular solid meal and liquids throughout the rest of the day
2 normal days - without overeating
1 "fast" day - drinking only water for 24 hours, this can be from dinner the evening before to a light meal the evening of the fast

1 Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment